Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Miss Kim:

When you discussed germination between layers of wet(damp) paper
towels, you mentioned heat. Basically, you said get it just right, not too
cool and not too hot. Do we have to guess, or is there a suggested temp
range which we should try to attain, such as in an incubator for birds?
Thanks. Don

Don,

I've found that a temperature between 80 - 90 degrees works best. I use a heating pad under a few insulating layers of towels, all housed in a cooler with the lid closed. I do keep a thermometer in there too, right next to the seeds,
and check it often.


The most critical and sometimes difficult part of raising Atlantic Giants is
the germination stage. Several people have told me they didn't know to do
anything special and had 100% germination right out of a pot of cold dirt; while
others had 0% even with extra care. So, follow the directions I sent with
the seeds as best you can (I agree, the newsletter I'd forwarded
on to you was vague).


Good Luck, and keep me posted.

And thanks for asking.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home