Thursday, May 15, 2003

Having trouble starting your seeds? It is the trickiest part of the whole Atlantic Giant pumpkin growing task...


Here is a recent note on a message board, with some suggestions from the field:


Situation:


I only have one plant growing, the others wont split, I sanded the edges, soaked them in water, left them on wet paper towels, even put a light above them to give them heat but nothing yet. I need to get these guys to start. I'm out of good seeds but I think these will be ok, they aren't mushey. So far only one, but its looking good so far. I also had other seeds but they didn't split and got mushey and rotted. I have 3 left, I'm hoping for the best.


Answers:



(1) Try changing to BOTTOM HEAT. - Glen

(2) Have you tried the "advanced seed starting method" yet? Instead of nail clippers, I used my fingernails, chipped everything off the embryo, put in most paper towels in a small ziploc & put them on TOP of my fluorescent lights, over the warmest part, the transformer. Did this Wednesday about 1am; of my own seeds (594 Smith x 1062 Rivard) 100% (6 of 6) had a root at least 3/4" long this morning, less than 36 hrs. The 430 Bhaskaran was about 1/4" at 10am (1 for 1, 100%) and some of my
others were noticeably growing a root & leaves expanding. My only problem now is that the bed isn't ready. - Mark.

(3) I have had 100% germination with my tecnique past few years, no roted seeds, I sand the edges , soak the seeds for a few minutes in some warm water , then dip them in Capten (fungicide powder) , then push the capten coated seeds into the soil till about 1/2" of soil is over the top of them. Pointed end down of course. I beleive the captan helps prevent any kind of fungas or rotting that a lot of growers experience. - Hope this helps Brian.


I have more seeds to share, contact me if anyone would like some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home