Tuesday, June 10, 2003


The Questions are starting to roll in as you folks are getting your pumpkin patches established...

QUESTION: I prepared my punkin patch and have a question? Would it be OK to place my six seedlings in my NOW 13 x16 patch with Black plastic on the ground around the say 36-40 ' circles with the seedling in the middle of each circle? I cut this patch out of a hay field and don't want to roto till the whole thing if I don't have to. I weed wacked it, raked thn mowed, then raked and ran out of steam. I have access to a roto tillar but cutting into a rocky , boney hay field is tough work. I was going to rototill just six circles for each plant and let them sprawl all over the black plastic. But something tells me that might harm the vine???or the fruit??? Look forward to your reply , Stever
ANSWER: It'd be good to find them some more space, but that isn't always possible.Typically the vines, or runners, sprawl all over and at every leaf axial it will put down roots to help anchor the vine and feed it as well. The easier it is to put down roots the better for the plant. But, I know folks who let them run through fields too, so whatever you want to put into it. I would not suggest the black plastic tho'. It's good early on to help warm the soil, but I just pulled up my plastic this past weekend and time to let 'em run! One thing that would help the vines if you don't want to prep the whole
area, is to pile a shovel-full of soil or compost or old manure on to the vines as they run - especially at the leaf axial. This will help with the establishment of new and more roots. Sound like you're off to a good start!
QUESTION: How far does the first pumpkin need to be away from the base? - Mike.
ANSWER: As far as how far out on the vine...
There are recommendations and documentation that some of the true monsters were set about 10-12 feet from the main stump. I don't think I've ever had one out that far! Most of mine have been 6-8 feet, I'd say. I don't think I'd have the patience to fore-go the earlier blossoms closer to the stump in order to wait for the vine and a blossom to develop further out. My 2 cents. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home