Saturday, August 02, 2003

Hi,

I've got two on, fairly close to one another but on different vines. One is now growing faster than the other. Should I remove the smaller one? - Mick

Excellent question Mick! I just got off the phone with another grower asking the same question as well as if it is ok to prune some vines... To answer your question, Mick, NO. Allow both pumpkins to grow to maturity. It is always a good idea to have more than one in the event something happens to one of them. Also, the Atlantic Giant plant has no problem supporting several fruits, up to 5 or 6 is just fine. Regarding the pruning of vines, YES. Prune away! I would not take off any vines between your fruit and the stump that are growing off the pumpkin's vine. I would, however, remove every other vine after the pumpkin, if space is an issue. I also remove all tertiary vines before they take over my patch.
Hope this helps - Keep up the good work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home