Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Kim,
Tell me, how do we compete successfully against those folks with an extra month or two of growing season? I am looking forward to seeing some of the big ones. Don

Well Don, if you're refering to the pumpkins grown in warmer parts of the country, then there is nothing we can do to change our climate to mimic others. We can get just as many growing days though, by starting our seeds at the same time, about April 25th, and transplanting the seedlings into a protected patch outside as soon as possible. I pre-warm the pumpkin patch beds by covering them with black plastic in March, and then cut an "X" to plant the seedlings in the first 10 days of May. I construct very modest plastic tents over them for protection until it is safe to uncover them completely in June.

Bottom line... we are our own best competition. My goal each year is to top my last years pumpkin weights, or my PB - "personal best", as they call it in the biz. We, here in Montana, have fairly similar climates and can only hope to top the weights of local growers, family members, 4H growers, work-mates, neighbors, or anyone else inflicted with pumpkin fever.
It seems like you are hooked and determined to establish your own PB this year, right?
I'll see you at the Cornfield Maze on Sept. 20th, 1 pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home