Monday, September 22, 2003

The following are excerpts from all the terrific emails I've received since Saturday's Weigh Off:

Kim and Mike - - Your event was a HUGE success. I just downloaded the pictures from my camera. MUST bring them to work and show them Len's pumpkin - - - gives us Dillon folks something to strive for. I was going to call you and ask how much the big one weighed - - thanks for getting the word out so quickly, and congratulations again for a GREAT event. - LB

Kim: Congratulations upon a great turnout based primarily on your efforts. Now that I know some of the tricks of the trade, next year will be fun. I believe it will take close to 600 to win and plan to be in on the finals:-)

Thanks for the great day. How do we get a few seeds from some of the bigger punkins around the country? Yours were fine. - Don Don, the internet is the best resource to find all the information and contacts for seeds. Visit the bigpumpkins.com or pumpkinnook.com websites for further links. A National Message Board/Mailing List of the heavy hitters: send a message to majordomo@mallorn.net Type in “subscribe pumpkins” in the body of email. Leave subject line blank. The archives of this message board are a wealth of information regarding Giant Pumpkin challenges, without needing to subscribe. Search the mallorn list archives at www.hort.net/lists//pumpkins/

Hi, how was the pumpkin contest? I wish I would have gotten to you sooner and hitched a ride with someone. Next year. We did great. We got two pumpkins! Actually three, but the first one only got so big and then rotted. Don't know why, but the two we have are beauties, way bigger than any pumpkin we have ever grown before!! The one is bigger, about 100 pounds and a beauty---they are both beauties! Plus we have other pumpkins like we never have before. I think it was the suggestion about plenty of water and fertilizer that did it. Before my partner (he's the one who takes care of them) thought that pumpkins needed little water, but after I showed him your email about watering, he started watering alot, and that is why I think we got so many this year. Won't have to buy any for Jack o' lanterns! Thank you for the informative emails!! I will take the digital camera and get a photo and send it your way.

I think next year you should promote the pumpkin weigh off, at least just with the media. I would call the Missoulian and the TV stations, and I bet they would do a little story about it. I really think so.

So until next year, thanks for all your help!! - RV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home