Friday, September 12, 2003

Kim,
I received one of your giant pumpkin plants as a premium from KUFM last year. I have one really big pumpkin that I'm thinking of bringing down Sept. 20th, but am faced with a few obstacles. The vines attack me anytime I get near this monstrous plant, and I'm afraid to move it since I'll have to destroy about half the plant. I am also wondering how in the heck I'm going to get this thing into a car (If it even fits in my subaru). And when I get there how will I get it out? Any suggestions? I haven't estimated the weight yet because I get such a horrible rash everytime I go near the plant.


Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer!


Livia

Livia,

I'm thrilled you've had such success! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sounds like you've craeted a monster!

To answer a few of your questions...

Firstly - OF COURSE YOU WILL BE COMING TO THE WEIGH OFF TO SHOW OFF YOUR FABULOUS PUMPKINS!!

Secondly - Wearing long sleeves and garden gloves, use a sharp knife or pruners to cut back just those leaves that are in your way when accessing your pumpkin. I have to do this in order to reach mine as well.

Thirdly - In order to move the pumpkin(s), the best way is to use a sturdy blanket or tarp(s). With the help of a friend of two, gently roll/lift one side of the pumpkin and scoot the tarp underneath. Then roll it back onto the tarp and pull the tarp edges up. This creates an easy way for several people to lift any size pumpkin - as though it were in a hammock.
We will engage all the growers to help eachother unload their pumpkins at the weigh off as well as moving them to the scales. We'll help get you loaded back up at the end of the weigh off too.


I'll give you the phone number of another accomplished grower in Missoula and perhaps the Missoula folks could all help eachother out. I know there will be some Bitterroot folks helping eachother as well. We're all in this together!


Please call me if there are any more obstacles to your participation. We want you there and I'm certain you will be a worthy contender!


Good luck,Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home