Sunday, September 28, 2003

Hello All,

Now that our weigh off has past I won't be sending out as many emails. I would like to encourage you growers to seek out your seeds for next year. I will again be gathering, curing and distributing as many seeds as I can get my hands on for next years first-time growers.
Where do you turn to get your own seeds? Simple.
Sign in on a national message board/mailing list (free) to receive information and emails from the world class growers - all pertaining to current issues from germination, planting, soil prep, pruning vines, lifting pumpkins, fertilization, weigh off results, etc. Everyone on the list is extremely helpful and generous with information and seeds - just for the asking.
Just email majordomo@mallorn.com Leave subject line blank. Type in “subscribe pumpkins” in the body of the email message. You may unsubscribe at any time. Additionally, The archives of this message board are a wealth of information regarding Giant Pumpkin challenges, without needing to subscribe. Search the mallorn list archives at www.hort.net/lists//pumpkins/
You will witness a lot of people asking for the best in seed genetics from all over the world and there is always someone offering their seeds for the price of postage. Check it out. This is how I chose the dark orange genes of my pumpkins this year.
Alternatively, you may mail order seeds from http://www.howarddill.com/ and http://www.pandpseed.com/ for commercial stock.

I still have a couple signed copies of How-to-Grow World Class Giant Pumpkins, III. By Don Langevin if anyone is looking for the perfect gift for the gardener with a competitive spirit. List price is $29.99, sale price $22.50. Looking for a perfect stocking stuffer? I still have several new, Giant Pumpkin Weight Estimating Measuring Tapes. Measures pumpkins up to 1422 lbs ; Weights and Inches Printed on Tape; Weather Resistant; 192” (16’); Soft Fiberglass Tape; No more charts, and now, no more need to join two 10’ tapes together to measure pumpkins over 400 lbs. List price is $10.00,for Sale only $7.50 ea + S&H. I promise not to pass on a sales pitch again.

One last plea to all the local growers - PLEASE SAVE ALL YOUR SEEDS! Give me a call and I'll make arrangements to pick up your seeds whenever you are finished with your fruits. A bucket of slimy guts is fine - I'll clean them.

For those of you that requested seeds at the weigh off and provided your address and 4 stamps (or $1.25), I will be sending out seeds after February 1st. Otherwise, I have arranged to have seeds available as well at two locations: the Ravalli County Fair Office in Hamilton, and Ibey's Nursery in Missoula. These seeds will be generic without genetic information.

I hope everyone looks forward to enjoying another terrific weigh off in 2004 like we had last week. If so, I'll need an army of volunteers to help out, mostly just on the weigh off day. Please contact me by phone or email - every little bit helps. Also, I am open to any suggestions as to what should change, new ideas, what worked well, and not so well. I'm all ears - please share your view point.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to hearing from you and don't forget to check our local web log www.giantpumpkins.blogspot.com for the latest posts from folks like yourselves.

Go get your patches ready for an early start next spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home